Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Death of MySpace

                                                                                  myspace_icon.png
WHAT HAPPENED TO MY FIREND TOM?
In 2006 MySpace became the most popular networking site on the web and dominated all others. Pretty soon everyone was unloading pictures, videos, creating their very own slide shows, page designs, music playlists and had a friend named Tom.
There was a time when I could not be on a computer and not check and update my MySpace. I would spend hours finding the right page layout, color scheme and background image for my page. Then I would move on to creating a new slide show since I had took a bunch of the new pictures since the last slide show. Finally I wouldn’t be able to log off without knowing that I updated my playlist and that its not going through the same played out songs. Of course all of this would take place after the routine checking of messages, comments and friend requests.
Even presidential candidates had a MySpace, it was the fastest way to connect to the younger generation. This however is one thing that lead to its downfall. When creating a website you expect to last, the bigger the intended audience the better. When MySpace came about it was obvious that it was designed with teens in mind. Everything about the website spoke to the younger generation, which is what lead to strike two against MySpace: continuing report of online stalking. If someone wanted to find a young teenage girl what better place to look than a website where the young girls poured out all their personal information without a second thought of safety. News reports centered around MySpace were appearing more and more everyday. Though they worked with authorities to catch these predators, their network was already developing a bad name especially with parents.
Throughout the years MySpace has tried to keep there users but there numbers are still plummeting. They have had to cut their employee size down to about 1000. Their biggest competitor Facebook has stolen their users like a thief in the night. It is becoming quite obvious after examining some of MySpace’s newest updates. From status updates to the new color scheme and even the addition of applications it is clear which network MySpace is currently trying to keep up with. This Network is slowly sinking and everyone is abandoning ship. Now the phrase is: Who uses MySpace anymore??

3 comments:

  1. I do agree with you. Myspace was a fad that died out quickly. The only reason it became popular was because of Tila Tequila. Also Myspace became the first social network site that one could decorate. Facebook is more popular and acceptable. It was different. I believe people like different than ordinary. Facebook also has a movie out in theaters. This is how sad myspace died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is so true. Myspace is a thing in the past. I remember when I thought Myspace was better then Facebook since I could design my profile in Myspace. But after a while I started getting bored with it and moved I on to Facebook. I find it more better now. Although I still have my myspace profile, I don't use it much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O myspace. It really had such a short life. By the time I really started to get into it I got an invite to beta test for Facebook and I liked it so much better that I never used my myspace again. I hated how you could make everything so flashy and colorful. Not that I dislike color but all of those flashing pictures everyone would always put up gave me a headache.

    ReplyDelete